The ILE SIG was founded at the BRAZ-TESOL Convention in Rio in 2012. It is open to all language educators who have an interest in intercultural language education. Its objectives are
• To promote intercultural communicative competence (ICC), i.e. to promote:
(a) Curiosity about different cultures
(b) Knowledge of different cultural values and behaviours
(c) Openness towards cultural difference
(d) The ability to interpret products from different cultures
(e) The ability to observe, understand and account for different cultural practices
(f) The development of critical cultural awareness
• To promote critical literacy as a key means of achieving critical cultural awareness
• To integrate intercultural communicative competence and critical literacy into language teaching by the development of classroom materials, teacher education and online content and networks.
• To encourage research into ICC and critical literacy in language education, and its dissemination via teacher education and teacher networks.
• To increase and support multicultural exchanges, particularly among BrazTESOL members, chapters and teachers’ associations - but extending world-wide.
The current co-chairs of the SIG are John Corbett and Andrea Assenti del Rio.